Sunday, July 18, 2010

SMS: Chocolate Walnut Brownies

First off, I must admit I was somewhat distracted this week by something even better than brownies. "What", you say, "could possibly be better than brownies?" My adorable, super-cute, 4 day old nephew! He is the squishiest, most cuddly baby ever! So, instead of stressing about this post and getting it done early, I procrastinated and cuddled instead.
That being said, it is funny how nervous I was for my week to host. I don't know how everyone else feels when their time comes but, for me, so much thought gets put into the whole process. I wanted to pick a "good" recipe and I wanted to make it enough times that I would have really cool tips or tricks to share. Alas, I have no tips or tricks. Luckily, I found the recipe to be pretty straightforward and in my opinion, it makes a really good brownie. Now I do realize what makes a good brownie seems to be a really individualized thing. Some like fudgy, some like cakey, etc. I don't like mine to taste undercooked. These were just about perfect for me. They were moist but still tasted cooked all the way through. I also found this recipe to be pretty customizable. I added mint chips to one batch and they were just great.Instead of using cocoa in this recipe, you use unsweetened chocolate and melt it in a double boiler. ( I just used a metal bowl over a pot.)
Next, you mix together the eggs, sugar and vanilla, until the batter is a pale yellow.Incorporate the chocolate into batter. Now is the time to get creative and throw in any add-ins that you have a hankering for, in this case, walnuts.Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 - 5o minutes. Then comes the best part-Cut and eat.

Before I post the recipe, I just want to say thanks to the great women in this group. I am inspired every time I check one of your blogs! Be sure to check out the amazing bakers who joined me this week.
You can find this week's recipe on pages 82-83 of The Sweet Melissa Baking Book, or posted below.
Chocolate Walnut Brownies

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter
4 ounces best-quality unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 cup all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

2/3 sup walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)


Before you start
Position a rack in the center of your oven. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter and flour a 9 x 9 x 2-inch square cake pan.

  1. In the top of a double boiler set over simmering, not boiling, water, melt the butter and chocolate. Remove from the heat but keep warm.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment, beat together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla on medium speed until pale yellow in color, about 2 minutes. Add the melted chocolate and mix to combine.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
  4. Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture in 3 batches, mixing on low speed until just combined. Do not overmix. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Stir in the nuts by hand.
  5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until sides begin to pull away from the pan and center is moist but not runny and a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
  6. When cool, loosen the edges of the pan with a knife and invert the brownies onto the cutting board. Cut into 12 brownies, measuring 3 inches by 2 1/4 inches, or serve straight from the pan.
The brownies keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. For longer storage, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 5 days, or freeze well wrapped in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil for up to 3 weeks. Do not unwrap before defrosting.

40 comments:

  1. Your brownies look delicious and the photos are great. Thnks for hosting.

    My 9 month old nephew is visiting so I can totally relate to the joy. Happy Cuddling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so nice to click here and see a baby, an adorable baby, much better than brownies.

    Love your photos, especially your nephew. The inside of your brownies look gushy to me. I love them that way. Mine were a bit drier than that, if I remember correctly.

    Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your nephew is a little angel. A wonderful distraction!

    Great post Tiffany! I know what you mean about stressing out. I felt exactly the same way a few weeks ago. ;) But this is such a great group with good feedback there's really no reason to stress.

    Your brownies look great! Mint chips sound yummy! I was looking for more chocolate flavor in my brownies. I might try the addition of some chocolate chips for next time. Everyone had such good luck with these that I think I need to give them another shot.

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cutie! I agree with Chaya, I'd rather look at a cute baby than brownies!

    I'm glad you liked these. They look so much better than mine did. Thanks for hosting this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a cute little baby! thanks for a simple and easy recipe :) i goofed up but look fwd to trying it again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The baby is adorable! Sorry I didn't bake along with you this week. I made a very similar recipe last weekend and wasn't up for another brownie this week.

    Your brownies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful little Nephew and only 4 days old in the photo? How precious is that?! I would be distracted too.

    Your brownie selection was phenomenal! One of the best brownies my family has tried and when I found out the recipe was based off of Julia Child's brownie recipe. . . I was hooked! Your series of photos and final brownie pic is perfect too. You did a wonderful job and thank you for hosting this week's Sweet Melissa Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent choice.

    And congrats on the new addition to your family. Your nephew is adorable :)

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. those brownies look amazing...so ooey gooey and chocolately!! and congrats on your nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your nephew is a cutie! So sorry I could not join you this week. I have been baking for so many different events this past week I could not fit another recipe in. The brownies look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a precious baby! Thanks for hosting this week. Your brownies look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. adorable nephew! my first week with sweet melissa sundays so thanks for hosting with an awesome recipe : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful pick on the brownies. My entire family really enjoyed them! I, like most of the others, can't blame you for being distracted by your nephew. He looks adorable in your photo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great selection, these were a big hit here! Your new nephew is adorable, congratulations to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your new nephew! He is so precious :) That would definitely distract me from brownies too.

    Thanks for hosting this week! We really liked the brownies here. I thought the baking time was a little off, but luckily I checked mine early so it was all good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for hosting. They were great!

    I got the vanilla bean sea salt from www.saltsistersonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for hosting last week! I'm so sorry I didn't read your blog until now, but the brownies looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tiff,

    If you are interested…
    Don't forget to stop by my blog.
    Baking is my Zen will be having a COOKBOOK GIVEAWAY
    from August 8 through August 14, 2010.

    The giveaway will be the ‘not yet released’ cookbook,
    Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented
    By Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito
    http://bakingismyzen.blogspot.com/2010/08/cookbook-giveaway-by-baking-is-my-zen.html

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brownies look awesome and seeing the picture of that beautiful made me smile. Congrats Aunt.

    Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful brownies. And what a cute little nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice and informative blog. We are a leading online cake bakery in Indore. Try this new way of sending love messages to your 'Heart-Throb'. Order our SMS Chocolates Indore Indore to convey what you cannot say.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. really yummy recipe, ill try this soon, other hand if you need custom cake boxes you can contact us

    ReplyDelete
  24. Take the competitive edge by using attractive custom pillow boxes, while running a successful business in the market. Interested? Contact IBEX Packaging for more details and get an instant quote.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing! It&rsquo's really awesome article, I have got a much clear idea regarding this article. Visit my blog Bottle Packaging Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bei stark bis extrem inkrustierten, das heißt verengten Rohrleitungen, kommt die hydro­mecha­nische Rohrreinigung zum Einsatz. Auch hierbei verwenden die Fach­leute von Kuchler Service weder Säuren, Laugen noch um­welt­be­lastende Spül­mittel. Und den­noch er­rei­chen sie zügig das Ziel: eine saubere Leitung – durch eine rund­herum saubere Arbeit, die mehr Effizienz bringt als Kosten nach sich zieht.

    Rohrreiniger deggendorf

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great post! Thanks for sharing a piece of informative information. It would be kind for newbies, keep posting. I appreciate your efforts. Visit my blog

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for sharing. I learned a lot from this blog link. I got a lot of ideas. Visit my blog Customized gable boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Training service provider in united arab emirates for NDT level 2 course, welding course dubai, and QC Welding inspection training for oil and gas industry, Chemical and industrial and marine service companies.

    ReplyDelete
  30. lms in banking it’s important that your company uses a learning management system with features that will help you build engaging modules.
    With SeekLMS,
    lms in banking

    ReplyDelete
  31. In this review of toxin rid detox kits, we’ll see why the detox kit was such an immediate success.
    We’ll also look into if it still works to pass a drug test in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you so much for sharing all this wonderful information. So much helpful and easy to read for everyone. Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  33. At HeatStrokeCycle, we provide top rated electric scooters reviews, buying guides, comparisons, and top notch how-to guides. Visit here.
    Click here

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete