Sunday, July 11, 2010

SMS: Sour Cherry and Almond Biscotti

It has been a while since I have posted anything but I have actually been doing quite a bit of cooking and baking. We have just been busy enough the last couple weeks that I have had trouble finding time to sit down and make a record of the culinary adventures I have been having. Okay it probably hasn't been exciting enough to apply the word "adventure" but I did make freezer jam on my own, which was a first :) I also made last weeks sms recipe but I just haven't gotten around to posting it either. Maybe a little later today...Anyway, on to this weeks recipe. I have never made biscotti before and I was so pleasantly surprised that mine turned out. I kept thinking throughout the process that I couldn't see how this was going to come out looking like the biscotti my grandparents make but in the end it all came together just fine. Although it took a little time, most of that was baking or sitting in the fridge, and it was actually really easy to make. My husband preferred it after the first baking. He liked that it was more like a cookie then, so maybe I will make these again for him without baking twice.Thanks to Tracey for hosting this week, what a great pick! Check out her blog for the recipe and a really nice picture tutorial (wish I would have had that to look at while making mine). Also take a look at how the other SMS bakers did.

12 comments:

  1. I nibbled a bit after they first came out of the oven to rest so I agree, these would taste delicious as a regular cookie. Great job with the biscotti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo!! These look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fiance likes his only baked once, too. I always make biscotti two ways: divide the dough in half and make one half the traditional way and the other half only baked once. Both come out just fine, one is just a little chewier than the other. Definitely give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your biscotti look yummy. I know what you mean about wondering how it was going to turn out looking like biscotti...it was also my first time baking these and I had the same exact feeling. And like your husband, I preferred them after the first baking. Will definitely make these again!

    Looking forward to seeing some of your recent culinary adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally identify with cooking but not blogging! Your biscotti looks great - glad it turned out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you - I cook everyday and never end up blogging! That's why I joined SMS, I guess. Thanks for baking this week! Glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your first time making biscotti? You did a great job, they look perfect! These were fairly crisp biscotti but I've tried a few other recipes that turned out much less crisp even after baking them twice.

    Ditto on being too busy to blog. I wish I had more time to share the things I've been making at home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ate all of the rounded ends after the first baking, and they were really tasty a little softer. But I've also eaten so many of them crispy. I just love them either way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your biscotti look great!! Blogging is sometimes work in itself :) I've baked along quite a few times and not blogged about it. I keep the pics in a folder for a rewind day when I forgot to bake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A freezer full of jam sounds like an "adventure" to me. I've never attempted jams or jellies either :-) Glad you ended up liking the biscotti. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The biscotti looks great! I think the flavors in this cookie are so good they'd be great no matter how long you cook them. I have trouble finding time to sit down and blog, too.

    ReplyDelete