Monday, May 17, 2010

I heart cooking clubs- Potluck

It is that time again! POTLUCK. This week I went super-duper easy for my potluck recipe. I made Five Minute Drizzle Sauce, which can be found at the beginning (page 22) of How to cook Everything. This is such a simple recipe and I really loved it plus I just love all of Bittman's variations.
Here is the recipe-
Ingredients

4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or butter
1 tablespoon minced onion, garlic, ginger, shallot, scallion or lemongrass
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice or mild vinegar, like balsamic
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

1. Put the oil or butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When the oil is warm or the butter is melted, add the onion and cook stirring occasionally, until it softens (turn the heat down if it starts to color), a minute or two.
2. Stir in 2 tablespoons water and the lemon juice and sprinkle with some salt and pepper; maintain the heat so it bubbles gently for a minute or two. Taste, adjust the seasoning and serve.

I used the onion and drizzled this over warm pasta. Then I topped it with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese. What a comfort food! I can't wait to try some of the other variations and to try it on more than just pasta. Mark Bittman suggests it be used on pasta, rice, fish or chicken. I think it would also make a yummy vinaigrette for a salad.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds like one of those addictive sauces that you would be happy to pour on almost anything. Thanks for pointing out this recipe. I can see myself using it as a sauce for fish, chicken, and beef (and lots more too)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good, tasty, use it for anything and everything sauce. The pasta looks like the perfect use for it.

    Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just LOVE how simple the recipes are in HTCE? There are so many times that I look at a recipe and think to myself, "Why didn't I come up with that?"

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just toss in a little fresh chopped basil and you have a perfect pasta....yummmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to try this. It looks like another Bittman wonder that you turned into a great dish. I am also, getting wonderful ideas from him and I am having fun. Sounds like you are too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Five minutes! I'm impressed. That's shorter than it takes the pasta to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it would be perfect on some ravioli I'm going to whip up.

    ReplyDelete