Sunday, May 30, 2010

I heart cooking clubs- Garlic Breath

For this weeks IHCC recipe I made braised potatoes. He has several (10) variations of the recipe and I made Braised potatoes and Garlic. I love garlic and I actually think this could have easily accommodated more garlic but I try to be sensitive to the rest of my family. This was a really easy recipe and if you are having freaky weather for May (like we are) you might enjoy soup.

Ingredients-

2 pounds all-purpose or waxy potatoes
3 Tblsp. olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
1-2 heads of garlic, peeled
2 cups stock or water
1/4 cup parsley, for garnish (I didn't have any so I skipped this)
Parmesan, if desired

-Peel potatoes and cut them into chunks.
-Put the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. When hot add the potatoes and garlic, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally until coated in oil and beginning to turn golden.
-Add the stock and enough water so that the potatoes are barely covered. Bring to a boil, stirring once in a while to make sure the potatoes aren't sticking, then turn the heat to medium-low so that the mixture bubbles gently.
-Cook, stirring occasionally until the potatoes get tender, 20-25 minutes. Add more liquid if they start to stick.
-The potatoes are done when a skewer or sharp knife inserted into one meets almost no resistance. Adjust seasoning, garnish with Parmesan and serve.

After tasting the recipe the way it is, I did puree about half of the soup just to give it a more creamy texture. My whole family loved this. Everyone had seconds and my two year old had fourths (although I was giving him much smaller servings).

7 comments:

  1. Yum! Great pick--garlic and potatoes are such a great combination--the more garlic the better!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The garlic must have added such a nice, warm, comforting flavor to these potatoes! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your SMS pie and pralines look great. Couldn't comment on that post...so commenting here! :)

    Garlic...my luuuv!

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit, I am hesitating before making this! Seems like A LOT of potatoe, and not much else!....But, I figure you know my tastes pretty well, so If you say it's wonderful, I am going to give it a go! They say to lose weight, you should eat more soups..so I was looking for a good recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK...I'm just starting this, so I am not sure what I am doing wrong...but I couldn't post on your praline pecans, so I'm adding it here! I 'beg' you to forget the neighbors and when you make them next time--CHOOSE ME!! :)
    These are something I think I would REALLY crave! (so ok, you might want to limit how much you make for me ((smile)) cause I don't think I will be a very good sharer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum - so glad that you were able to join in with this very tasty looking recipe. I have been craving comfort food and this looks like the ultimate in comfort. I can see why everyone loved it so much. Thanks for joining in the fun at IHCC! Glad to have ya:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love this and my hubby would hate it. Great for a marriag. He gets sick from garlic and I could put it on all savory food.

    I like your Mom's blog. She is off to an awesome start.

    ReplyDelete