Sunday, May 2, 2010

SMS: Peanut Butter Truffles




This week for Sweet Melissa Sunday we made Peanut Butter Truffles. I have never made truffles before so I was a little worried that they would be really difficult. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they were dead easy! It was a really fun project and I even had some help rolling the chocolate. My oldest son thought it looked like playing with play dough. It was, only a little messier. Anyway the general consensus, after making these, was that there was little to no peanut butter flavor and my kids and hubby didn't really like the bittersweet chocolate. So next time (and yes there will be a next time) I am going to try doubling the chocolate and I will try using semi-sweet, maybe I will even try some white chocolate since I have a son who is on an "I only like white chocolate" kick.
One of my very favorite things about this recipe is how easy they are to make, yet they look and taste impressive. My other favorite thing was how customizable they are. All I had was peanuts and the powdered sugar, but you could really coat them with anything. Afterward I spent the rest of the day thinking of different toppings I could try next time (crushed nutter butter cookies, chopped Reese's pieces, drizzled chocolate, drizzled peanut butter, pretzels, etc). Seriously the possibilities are endless. Anyway this was a really fun recipe to try! Great pick to Mara of Love Your Mother Earth. Check out her blog to see the full recipe and to see how she customized hers and make sure to take a look at the other SMS bloggers. Everyone had really fun ideas! By the way these would make a great Mother's Day gift!
I love how glossy and pretty the melted chocolate mix looks!

7 comments:

  1. Your truffles look yummy. I agree on the bittersweet chocolate....it was too much. I used semi sweet in mine after tasting my first batch (gone bad) with the bittersweet. Doubling the peanut butter gave it just the right amount. I agree with you on the topping options! Crushed pretzels sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yours look great, both with the powdered sugar and with the peanuts. Yums! so cute that your son helped out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. do these ever look delicious! I did a half batch with lots of peanut butter and 61% chocolate and the peanut butter flavor came through. I'll probably do semisweet like you next time and even more peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think everyone had the same thoughts on the chocolate :)

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your truffles look wonderful.

    Welcome to SMS.

    I agree...more peanut butter is needed.
    This was my first time making these and was surprised how easy it was.


    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic shot of your truffles! I would also skip the bittersweet chocolate the next time I make these, hopefully then the peanut butter flavor would come through more!

    ReplyDelete