Sunday, May 30, 2010

SMS: Coconut Custard Pie


Ahh, I am getting this out so late but technically it is still Sunday where I live (for another 45 minutes). I made the pie earlier in the week and then kind of forgot about it until a little while ago. Incidentally, I also made last weeks pecan pralines this week (they were good but SUPER sweet, like tooth ache sweet). Anyway back to the coconut custard pie. It was very easy to make and pretty quick too. Overall I liked it and the fam seemed to enjoy it but I was a little disappointed in the texture or flavor. I was expecting it to be more creamy, like pudding and it was a little more eggy. It wasn't bad, I was just looking forward to something a little different. I followed the recipe pretty exactly but it could have been user error.
I must admit I did not make my own crust. Just didn't feel like messing with it this time.
Also making a brief appearance, here are my pralines for last weeks SMS. They are pretty good with ice cream. They weren't anything I would crave but they are pretty quick and really easy. I could see making them to give to a neighbor as a gift. I think if/when I make these again I will add more nuts. You really need the nuts to help break up the sweet.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry it didn't turn out as well as you expected- we did make some changes, like adding more nutmeg and cinnamon as well as baking it for only about 30-40 min. Maybe that will change the texture? Anyways, thanks for baking with me this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on both recipes! I think everyone agreed that the pralines were really sweet and your idea to add more nuts to break up the sweetness is a good idea. Bummer that the pie wasn't a big hit - but hopefully you'll fare better next week :)

    ReplyDelete